Sunday, April 22, 2012

A New Voice | Todd Kramer


Knowing that I'm not a guy into listening to guitar players and vocalists in coffee houses, that's exactly what I found myself doing last night as I wandered the streets of downtown New Haven, looking for a place to have an (anti-starbucks) Cup o' Joe to fuel the darker part of my evening.

Surprisingly, Todd Kramer (ironically an Orangeman like myself – Syracuse alum) was tucked away in a corner, no stool, no amp, no backup band. Just him and his guitar. It was amazing. I'd heard about him earlier in the week from another Syracuse friend in NYC, and checked out his iTunes stuff, and was surprised (after I downloaded his EP ONE PAIR OF EYES) and I found a voice which really filled the small coffee house (great, by the way; BYOB, for those looking for a bit of proof in their beverage) without all the glitz glam and production of the "new music" these days, usually culled from AMERICAN IDOL or THE VOICE or one of the other many star fuckers making machines.

Lesson learned?

Step out of your comfort zone (in my case, disco's resurgence!) and sample the local blend.

You'd be surprised who's on iTunes these days.

Todd Kramer. Remember that name.

His EP will quickly give you an earworm.

1 Comments:

Blogger B.man said...

An earworm is a piece of music that sticks in one's mind so that one seems to hear it, even when it is not being played. Other phrases used to describe this include musical imagery repetition and involuntary musical imagery. The phenomenon is common in normal life and so may be distinguished from brain damage which results in palinacousis.
This is also called a 'haunting melody' or 'hard-to-shake melody'.

Monday, April 23, 2012 at 11:42:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home