Monday, April 20, 2009

My new website is up.
Contact me for details.


I’ve seen an awful lot. Some great stuff, and some stuff which really bothered me. Mostly, it was what I saw, and opted not to photograph, which bothered me the most, and stays with me the longest. A dead woman covered in a yellow tarp beneath a yellow “Cross Here” street sign, her feet sticking out from under the tarp. Someone’s mother, sister, wife. Not me. Never. And I’ve gotten into lots of trouble (LOTS) for photographs I took which I thought were completely harmless.

And I’ve won many awards for my photographs; even took photographs of Miami Beach which accompanied a story by Isaac Bashevis Singer, Nobel Prize-winning Polish-born American author and one of the leading figures in the Yiddish literary movement.. I’ve had “self-indulgent bullshit” (to quote my instructor Tony Golden at Syracuse University) on exhibit in museums, my work downstairs, Arbus, Avedon, Penn, Cartier-Bresson and Mapplethorpe upstairs (Museum of Art, Fort Lauderdale).

But to some people, a photograph is dangerous.

What is really dangerous is a gun in the hands of a child.

Which is exactly how I feel with a camera: armed, dangerous, incisive, insightful, invincible and very invisible. Especially in a crowd. And by the time you notice me, the damage is already done.

And some very smart people (at least I thought, for the moment they were smart) have refused the opportunity for me to photograph them, when I expressed an interest. I think they knew I didn’t like what I saw in them. And truth be told, you never know.

Until it’s over, and you see what I saw. “You don’t know what I fear.”

There’s a lot more, a great deal more, to be posted.

And in the words of the immortal, “I’ve only just begun to scan.”

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Fatz said...

new website? Lets have that link..

Monday, April 20, 2009 at 9:14:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home