Wednesday, August 13, 2008

We're gonna need a
real.
big.
coffin!

World's tallest woman, 53, dies in Indiana


INDIANAPOLIS, Indiana (AP) -- A woman who grew to be 7 feet, 7 inches tall (2.31 meters) and was recognized as the world's tallest female died Wednesday, a friend said. She was 53.

Sandy Allen, who used her height to inspire schoolchildren to accept those who are different,

died at a nursing home in her hometown of Shelbyville, Indiana, family friend Rita Rose said. (more)

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Sandy said...

I'm also a "Sandy Allen;" over the years I've come across Sandy Allen in print and in online articles so often I feel I know her. I was fascinated when I discovered 'my name' in Guinness. I was always impressed with her attitude and her work with kids. Condolences from this Sandy Allen!

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 at 9:05:00 PM EDT  
Blogger B.man said...

Dear Sandy Allen:

I was particularly pleased and saddened at the same time when I read, for the first time this evening, about Sandy Allen. What amazed me was that she was not treated like a freak, a "Diane Arbus" character. Amazing still was that she turned her unique situation into a positive, setting a wonderful example to little children that it's ok to be different, no matter what. That alone endears me to the recently deceased "Sandy Allen." And I didn't want to portray her as a "freak" even though I am a rapid Diane Arbus and Joel-Peter Witkin fan (both photographers of "freaks.") I chose the photographs with care: I wanted something to show the absolute scale of her sheer size (the telephone booth) and something even more touching...Sandy surrounded by children, all looking up to her.

God rest her soul, and may you have a long and healthy life.

Thank you very much for your comment. I really appreciate that you took the time to tell me your story...

Regards.

B.man

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 at 9:11:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home