Friday, July 28, 2006

Umm, about my students.



There are really those days when I doubt my abilities as a college professor, and they've not been few and far between lately. I can't even say they've been hit or miss. Better, they've been fast and furious.

I think the turning point was Cindy Sherman in the dirt. (See earlier post.) And a few other pieces I have yet to post. I'm seeing my "kids" in an entirely new light (pun intended).

And Don called over the weekend, and I spoke with Gary, and we talked about the death of photojournalism and cell phones and YouTube and CNN and how it's harder and harder for us "old school" guys to make it.

So I vented on the Photoshop class yesterday. It was meant to be one of those good things, perhaps a pep talk, telling them they all had eyes, and how I was, in essence a fraud (c'mon, I've always thought so) because picking up a camera is the easiest thing in the world. Putting it to your eye and pressing the button is the easiest thing in the world. It's just DOING it. Like they say, most of life is just showing up. Same with photography.

And the kids sat, and didn't move, and didn't waver.
Thankfully Sandor broke the moment and told me I was being way too intense, I lightened the moment, a little too late, but he did.

So, guys, girls. Folks.
Thanks. For many things.
Like the courage you give me, day after day.
A renewal.
You are my fountain of youth.

Hold on to what we have.
Yesterday is gone
and the night is long.
Hold on.

And don't skip my classes!

I love you all.

Some of you actually know who you are.
And thanks to T for R.
Time. I'll never have enough with you.
Especially.

Personal Daily Horoscope
Friday, 28 July 2006
born 4 May 1960
©Astro

Creative power ***
This influence is a strong stimulus to any kind of ambition, but the danger is that its energy can be rather violent and disruptive. It represents a ruthless burst of ego energy that does not take kindly to limitation. Positively speaking, this is an excellent time for doing any kind of heavy work, particularly if it involves making major changes of any kind whatever. Even if you think you are totally uninterested in power, you will get a great deal of satisfaction out of having and using power. There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to use this power creatively. Just don't try to kid yourself that you aren't thinking of your own interests now. You are, and there is nothing wrong in that unless your interests conflict with everyone else's.

Mars Conjunction Pluto exact at 10:07
activity period from 26 July 2006 to 30 July 2006.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

Thursday, August 17, 2006 at 9:23:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home