Saturday, July 22, 2006

Guess what's dying this weekend?


My students really have no idea how old I am, in gay years.

Like I never stayed up late into the evening waiting (was it Kasey Casem?) for the latest Queen song, Elton song, or, if I was really lucky, club hit (then a secret because it was something I only heard before in a gay bar, perhaps when I was 15 or 16, when I saw a young blonde boy wearing a lime green prom dress spin on his head, breakdance-style).

Those cassettes, and many others, long-tossed, are about to be joined by the Miami Collection, save four: Bob Braucci's mix, which has Bronski Beat, Erasure, Depeche and Frankie, and my three-volume collection from 1986.

We'll talk about that later. Let's just say I made a bad choice then.
But running into Michael Westhall was absolutely unbelievable.
Who knew he'd be a doctor.



"People are apprehensive when they meet me. They think I'm going to eat them. But underneath it all, I'm quite shy."

~ Freddie Mercury ~


Radio Ga Ga
Song Duration 5:45
Written by Roger Taylor.
Performed by Queen.
Released 23rd January, 1984.
Spent 9 weeks on chart and reached number 2. Went Silver.
Inspired by his son (Felix) saying Radio Pooh Pooh!


Radio - radio
I'd sit alone and watch your light
My only friend through teenage nights
And everything I had to know
I heard it on my radio

You gave them all those old time stars
Through wars of worlds - invaded by Mars
You made 'em laugh - you made 'em cry
You made us feel like we could fly
Radio

So don't become some background noise
A backdrop for the girls and boys
Who just don't know or just don't care
And just complain when you're not there
You had your time, you had the power
You've yet to have your finest hour
Radio - radio

All we hear is radio ga ga
Radio goo goo
Radio ga ga
All we hear is radio ga ga
Radio blah blah
Radio what's new ?
Radio, someone still loves you

We watch the shows - we watch the stars
On videos for hours and hours
We hardly need to use our ears
How music changes through the years

Let's hope you never leave old friend
Like all good things on you we depend
So stick around 'cos we might miss you
When we grow tired of all this visual
You had your time - you had the power
You've yet to have your finest hour
Radio - radio

All we hear is radio ga ga
Radio goo goo
Radio ga ga
All we hear is radio ga ga
Radio goo goo
Radio ga ga
All we hear is radio ga ga
Radio blah blah
Radio what's new ?
Someone still loves you

Radio ga ga (ga ga)
Radio ga ga (ga ga)
Radio ga ga (ga ga)

You had your time - you had the power
You've yet to have your finest hour
Radio - radio

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

Sunday, August 13, 2006 at 3:47:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

Friday, August 18, 2006 at 6:54:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home